It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partners Site Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
Allroos Cactus Jack's Saloon and Grill Dan Smith, Loan Officer Evergreen, Conifer Elevation Dental El Rancho Brewing Co. Evergreen Towing Ferellgas Lynn Brown Nerium RE/MAX Alliance Evergreen Tree Top Thai Massage & Spa Tupper's Team

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:33 am 

E. coli levels reportedly spike in creek

The Elk Meadow off-leash area in Evergreen is facing a growing list of health and safety concerns, and Jeffco Open Space officials will host a series of public meetings to inform dog owners about steps they can take to ensure the park remains open.

The issues facing the Elk Meadow dog park at 32391 Stagecoach Blvd. are primarily due to its popularity, said Matt Robbins, Jeffco Open Space’s community connections manager. The 107-acre park, which boasts 3.2 miles of trails, has about 4,000 visitors per week, which is putting a strain on the facility.

. . .The dog waste problem had become so evident that in late September on National Public Lands Day about 80 volunteers visited the park armed with pooper-scoopers and garbage bags. Before the day was over, they had removed 424 pounds of dog waste.

http://www.canyoncourier.com/content/pu ... s-dog-park

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:52 am 

This meeting is tonight at Buchanan Rec Center, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.

US 285 COTRIP Info

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:35 pm 

187 residents attended a public meeting hosted by Jeffco Open Space last week to learn about problems at the off-leash dog park on Stagecoach and brainstorm solutions.

Among various issues are traffic and dog waste. A June, 2013 study showed 3,395 cars droving past the Elk Meadow dog park across 24 hours.

Water samples taken July through September from the stream flowing from the park showed 2,419 coliform units of E. coli per milliliter of stream water. EPA's water quality standard for recreational purposes is 126 coliform units per milliliter.

Additional meetings will be held Thursday, Feb. 9, and Thursday, Feb. 23. Jeffco Open Space representatives attend to
pursue solutions for the park so many dog lovers enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:32 pm 

It is a real shame that people think they don't have to play by the rules. And this could be a real canary in the coal mine moment for Colorado. Will we have to ration time in the mountains? Don't want to love it to death.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:35 pm 

MR556 wrote:
It is a real shame that people think they don't have to play by the rules. And this could be a real canary in the coal mine moment for Colorado. Will we have to ration time in the mountains? Don't want to love it to death.

You have a point there. Who knew dog waste does so much more damage to the environment than that of wildlife.
There are a lot of dogs out on the trails everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:18 am 

cabinish wrote:
MR556 wrote:

You have a point there. Who knew dog waste does so much more damage to the environment than that of wildlife.
There are a lot of dogs out on the trails everywhere.

I thought everyone knew that dog poop breaks down much more slowly than herbivores' piles. That's why there are laws that you need to pick up after your dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:51 am 

There is a couple that walks their dog down our road every day. They call it back if it starts wandering onto people's property other than a brief stop to check or send pee-mail at the driveway post. The other day I was driving past them and saw the man carrying a plastic bag. They were actually cleaning up after their pup! When I stopped and commented on it, the guy said they did it because it was the right thing to do. Too bad the folks using Elk Meadow don't think the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:29 am 

I have used dog parks in the city and it seems like the users and volunteers do a much better job with waste issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:54 am 

I think it's because people in the city are under law to pick up after themselves, whereas those who come up here (and many who live up here) think that "it's the mountains" and therefore ok to leave crap all over.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:09 pm 

Windchime wrote:
I think it's because people in the city are under law to pick up after themselves, whereas those who come up here (and many who live up here) think that "it's the mountains" and therefore ok to leave crap all over.

If they're from the flatlands, they should realize that ..it flows downhill. :biggrin: