It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partnersSite Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
Cactus Jack's Saloon and Grill Dan Smith, Loan Officer Evergreen, Conifer Elevation Dental El Rancho Brewing Co. Evergreen Towing Ferellgas Lynn Brown Nerium RE/MAX Alliance Evergreen Tree Top Thai Massage & Spa Tupper's Team

Post subject: Frigid Midwest
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:48 pm 

Postal service canceled for the upper Midwest this Wednesday. I have a friend who closed his retail shop until Friday. No one wants to shop when it is 37 below.

Post subject: Re: Frigid Midwest
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:31 pm 

Sorry to report, but Hucklebarry was unfortunately found frozen with his tongue on a light pole in Chicago.

So sad. :(

-12 for the high temp tomorrow? yikes!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:18 am 

:lol: Even UPS said uh, no thanks. 30,000 without power.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:49 am 

cabinish wrote:

Wow. Without power can be quite deadly. Some communities are opening up schools so people without power/heat have a warm place to sleep.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:14 am 

One winter I was living year round in Bailey, we woke up to -25, snow and no power, temp was already 55 inside at 4am. Good thing for that Wood stove. Made a pot of coffee on it with my camping pot. :)

My one beef with all these news articles is the wind chill reporting of temperatures. Just use the real temp numbers, and say the wind makes it feel worse. Too much dramatizing and exaggeration. -50 -60 holy cow!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:09 pm 

Thank you for not saying polar vortex. I can't stand that phrase.

Owner, CEO and Founder of http://www.communitiesbound.com Founder of http://www.285bound.com
Colorado Native.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:44 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:02 am 

This cold blast (Polar vortex :) lol is an example of peak energy usage way above average levels. Michigan gas customers are being asked to lower thermostats to 60 deg. and GM is shutting down plants there to lower energy consumption.

Now fast forward to a 100% renewable US energy grid/ no fossil fuels. How much overcapacity of wind turbines and solar would be needed to supply this peak load to electrically heat everyone's houses, maybe 1/3 of the country? A lot I'm guessing especially where it is cloudy and snowing, and the wind might be blowing too hard for wind turbines. Just something to think about.

I'm confident our new rep and New Green deal expert Occasional Cortex has this all figured out though, no worries. She probably took some online Engineering courses while she was bartending.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:39 am 

joeschmo wrote:
This cold blast (Polar vortex :) lol is an example of peak energy usage way above average levels. Michigan gas customers are being asked to lower thermostats to 60 deg. and GM is shutting down plants there to lower energy consumption.

Now fast forward to a 100% renewable US energy grid/ no fossil fuels. How much overcapacity of wind turbines and solar would be needed to supply this peak load to electrically heat everyone's houses, maybe 1/3 of the country? A lot I'm guessing especially where it is cloudy and snowing, and the wind might be blowing too hard for wind turbines. Just something to think about.

I'm confident our new rep and New Green deal expert Occasional Cortex has this all figured out though, no worries. She probably took some online Engineering courses while she was bartending.

Great point! When your solar panels are covered with ice and snow and the wind is blowing too fast for your windmills to work, the US will regret replacing fossil fuels with "renewables".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:56 pm 

cabinish wrote:

One of my friends back home in N. Wisconsin drives for UPS. He worked yesterday and today.