It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partnersSite Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
Cactus Jack's Saloon and Grill Dan Smith, Loan Officer Evergreen, Conifer Elevation Dental El Rancho Brewing Co. Evergreen Towing Ferellgas Lynn Brown Nerium RE/MAX Alliance Evergreen Tree Top Thai Massage & Spa Tupper's Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:04 pm 

I just had a fun argument with a guy that works for me and just wanted to see what you all thought. Do you believe that GMO's cause more harm than good? Is the science on this settled one way or the other? Is the value of being able to produce much more food to feed many more people cancelled out by the negative effects? What are the proven health concerns we should all be worried about?

Questions for people who know more than me... they don't scare me btw, but maybe I should be?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 pm 

I was reading something this week that says some insect resistant GMO crops have reduced the amount of insecticide needed. And drought resistant GMO's help cut down on water consumption.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:30 am 

I don't have science to back this up, but....I think that Nature is a much better scientist than any human could ever be. I think that monkeying around with the genetic makeup is probably why so many people are now intolerant to gluten and so many more are losing gall bladders and such. Nature is a delicate balance and when you start prying on one end, the other end will fall.

attributed to Joseph Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:04 am 

john wrote:
I don't have science to back this up, but....I think that Nature is a much better scientist than any human could ever be. I think that monkeying around with the genetic makeup is probably why so many people are now intolerant to gluten and so many more are losing gall bladders and such. Nature is a delicate balance and when you start prying on one end, the other end will fall.

I agree it makes sense that altering living organisms could result in negative consequences to the organisms that consume them, but maybe they don't. I want to hear the proven evidence, because like almost everything else, someone is profiting on one side or the other. If the banning of GMO's resulted in much more world starvation, should we not try to find the answers instead of just assuming GMO's are a bad idea?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 am 

Yes, does it make sense to starve billions just because of paranoid fears?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:31 pm 

Why the hell should billions starve if we don't genetically modify our food chain??? Because we can spray poison directly on them the kill weeds? Why not have all these starving people pull weeds? WTF??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:44 pm 

john wrote:
Why the hell should billions starve if we don't genetically modify our food chain??? Because we can spray poison directly on them the kill weeds? Why not have all these starving people pull weeds? WTF??

GMO's not only reduce need for herbicides, but also insecticides. Drought resistant crops expand farmlands. rofllol But let Luddites like John run our Ag policy. #idiocracy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:56 pm 

GMO's were created to give Monsanto a monopoly. You can spray roundup directly on them without killing them and, in many cases, the roundup is used to "dry" the crops out. Look it up if you don't believe me. Glyphosate is causing unknown damage to the species. I have to ingest it constantly if I want to eat now because asshats like you have permanently introduced it into the food chain. Brilliant!

https://detoxproject.org/1321-2/
http://time.com/4993877/weed-killer-rou ... ls-humans/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... rbicide-p/