It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partnersSite Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
Cactus Jack's Saloon and Grill Dan Smith, Loan Officer Evergreen, Conifer Elevation Dental El Rancho Brewing Co. Evergreen Towing Ferellgas Lynn Brown Nerium RE/MAX Alliance Evergreen Tree Top Thai Massage & Spa Tupper's Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:50 pm 

Golf n Gamble wrote:
I had Facebook for 10 hours many years ago, and I was deluged by people I didn't want to talk to from Chicago. I had to get rid of it. People are literally dying to locate me

Literally? :doh: Bill collectors? Loan sharks? Bookies wanting you to pay up?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:54 pm 

Tarryall wrote:
Golf n Gamble wrote:
I had Facebook for 10 hours many years ago, and I was deluged by people I didn't want to talk to from Chicago. I had to get rid of it. People are literally dying to locate me

Literally? :doh: Bill collectors? Loan sharks? Bookies wanting you to pay up?

All the way back to Jr High School...Evidently I had a bigger impact on everybody that I thought I had.. People were acting like I was a billionaire or something?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:08 pm 

I can relate to this, I don't really want every person I knew back to high school contacting me. I still stay in touch with about three good longtime friends on email, the rest I really don't care... sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:21 pm 

joeschmo wrote:
I can relate to this, I don't really want every person I knew back to high school contacting me. I still stay in touch with about three good longtime friends on email, the rest I really don't care... sorry.

...thats just the way we are.. With 5 kids and all the grandkids I got too many people to talk to now, I don't want any superfical additions. Just the core members

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:17 am 

joeschmo wrote:

That's the advantage of taking your husband's name when you marry - high school :lol: people can't find you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:45 am 

It's taken this story an eternity to pop up in the US journalism, a troubling fact that may deserves some very deep scrutiny of its own, but anyway, look-- here it is, finally!

Christopher Wylie, who helped found the data firm Cambridge Analytica and worked there until 2014, has described the company as an “arsenal of weapons” in a culture war. Credit Andrew Testa for The New York Times

Quote:
How Trump Consultants Exploited the Facebook Data of Millions
New York Times, By MATTHEW ROSENBERG, NICHOLAS CONFESSORE and CAROLE CADWALLADR, MARCH 17, 2018

LONDON — As the upstart voter-profiling company Cambridge Analytica prepared to wade into the 2014 American midterm elections, it had a problem.

The firm had secured a $15 million investment from Robert Mercer, the wealthy Republican donor, and wooed his political adviser, Stephen K. Bannon, with the promise of tools that could identify the personalities of American voters and influence their behavior. But it did not have the data to make its new products work.

So the firm harvested private information from the Facebook profiles of more than 50 million users without their permission, according to former Cambridge employees, associates and documents, making it one of the largest data leaks in the social network’s history. The breach allowed the company to exploit the private social media activity of a huge swath of the American electorate, developing techniques that underpinned its work on President Trump’s campaign in 2016.

An examination by The New York Times and The Observer of London reveals how Cambridge Analytica’s drive to bring to market a potentially powerful new weapon put the firm — and wealthy conservative investors seeking to reshape politics — under scrutiny from investigators and lawmakers on both sides of the Atlantic.

Christopher Wylie, who helped found Cambridge and worked there until late 2014, said of its leaders: “Rules don’t matter for them. For them, this is a war, and it’s all fair. They want to fight a culture war in America,” he added. “Cambridge Analytica was supposed to be the arsenal of weapons to fight that culture war.”

Details of Cambridge’s acquisition and use of Facebook data have surfaced in several accounts since the business began working on the 2016 campaign, setting off a furious debate about the merits of the firm’s so-called psychographic modeling techniques...
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/us/politics/cambridge-analytica-trump-campaign.html

Oh, are we finally going to talk now about how our country and our democracy just got figuratively but nevertheless actually raped by these literally-caught-redhanded enemies of liberal democracy, freedom, and the west who really crossed some lines in their gaslighting and in their poisoning of the well of social and political culture here in these United States. I'm super upset about this circumstance, it makes everything happening farcical and false because I fail to see how this illegitimate method can create legitimate results, and that's a crisis for everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:19 am 

Its just another example of FB not having any real privacy (duh) and apparently users voluntarily downloading a personality quiz APP? Hello McFly!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:24 am 

Which means Bannon knew what Analytica was up to.
New terms of service - FB will use your friends and your friends friends to undermine democracy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:20 pm 

It is hardly the first time FB or data has been used in Political campaigns. For balance...

https://ijr.com/2018/03/1077083-ex-obam ... rector-fb/

"A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would’ve allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidsen, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to “suck out the whole social graph” and target potential voters. They would then use that data to do things like append their email lists."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:56 pm 

Zuckerberg should run in 2020. Can use his own company for targeting voters.