It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partners Site Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
Allroos Cactus Jack's Saloon and Grill Dan Smith, Loan Officer Evergreen, Conifer Elevation Dental El Rancho Brewing Co. Evergreen Towing Ferellgas Lynn Brown Nerium RE/MAX Alliance Evergreen Tree Top Thai Massage & Spa Tupper's Team

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:28 am 

If you are finding fresh piles of dirt near 2" holes on your property, it's probably vole damage.
They feed on bulbs and roots, seeds - good luck getting rid of them.

Long-tailed Vole. The long-tailed vole is found in a wide variety of habitats (for example, sagebrush grasslands, forests, mountain meadows, and stream banks) in the western United States and Canada.

Voles are active day and night, year-round. They do not hibernate. Home range is usually 1/4 acre (0.1 ha) or less but varies with season, population density, habitat, food supply, and other factors. Voles are semifossorial and construct many tunnels and surface runways with numerous burrow entrances. A single burrow system may contain several adults and young.

Voles may breed throughout the year, but most commonly in spring and summer. In the field, they have 1 to 5 litters per year. Postpartum breeding is common and females may breed as early as 2 weeks of age.

[youtube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzouRBNSfsM[/youtube2]

http://icwdm.org/handbook/rodents/voles.asp

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:44 am 

Fox population is way down too. Yep got some new dirt piles this spring. Little varmints!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:21 am 

They don't seem to be satisfied with a few . . . they've got tunnels all over the hillside.

:ThObama:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:30 am 

I'm going to move my wildlife cam over to monitor the lil Varmints. I did see one fox the other day, hope he is a good vole hunter.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:11 am 

Here is the Varmint I had a few years ago. I think the Fox got him, or it moved to another spot.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:09 am 

That's a great photo - it really helps show their size. A lot of people think they're just like field mice but
in my experience they are much bigger and ugly critters with long rat like tails.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:33 pm 

joeschmo wrote:
Here is the Varmint I had a few years ago. I think the Fox got him, or it moved to another spot.

That's a pocket gopher. Voles are smaller and don't make the mounded up piles of dirt.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:04 pm 

OK, Pocket gopher then, either way they gotta go. The varmints are leaving open holes, not closed ones
like pocket gophers. Moles are only in eastern-most Colorado, thank God - they are ugliest of all. The soil
is very spongy AND I have mounds of dirt. What if I have both?? :VeryScared:

There are many burrowing animals in Colorado that can cause damage to lawns, gardens, and pastures. The first step to resolving the problem is to figure out which animal (or animals) caused the damage. The main four types of burrowing animals are voles (8 species), pocket gophers (4 species), prairie dogs, and Wyoming ground squirrels.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/2310.html

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:01 pm 

Windchime wrote:
joeschmo wrote:

That's a pocket gopher. Voles are smaller and don't make the mounded up piles of dirt.

Oh thanks. I wasn't sure. I expect our Fox will take care of them soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:59 am 

Both pocket gophers and voles have gone crazy this spring. As far as I'm concerned, they can do what they please in the forest but when they start moving in on my leach field or septic area it's war! :bash