It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partners Site Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
Allroos Cactus Jack's Saloon and Grill Dan Smith, Loan Officer Evergreen, Conifer Elevation Dental El Rancho Brewing Co. Evergreen Towing Ferellgas Lynn Brown Nerium RE/MAX Alliance Evergreen Tree Top Thai Massage & Spa Tupper's Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:26 pm 

SB 89 would allow Colorado consumers “to install and use electricity storage systems on their property,” meaning, essentially, big batteries for use in a pinch during blackouts. According to the the bill’s official summary, it will, “enhance the reliability and efficiency of the electric grid, save money, and reduce the need for additional electric generation facilities.”

From its authors’ perspective — they’re worlds apart on probably most other issues, including those involving energy policy — it introduces a dose of conservation as well as economic freedom into what is largely a government-regulated market for power generated by monopoly public utilities.

http://coloradopolitics.com/right-left- ... batteries/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:55 pm 

:wink: Shh, don't tell anyone but I already do. Solar panels charge my network of batteries that make energy to run the house all night long. Let the grid customers do this too! Will help during brownouts and other times when the network goes down.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:35 pm 

I intended to set something similar up myself. Guess I'll wait till it's official.
I'd think half of York Gulch (off grid) has them already.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:55 pm 

regarding "we can't do this already"

uh, what you do on your own property to feed power into your own home is your business, in accordance with local NEC codes and local building regs.

what you feed back into the public utility GRID turning your meter backwards, expecting retail price reimbursement for your personal power station sure as hell is a concern of the Utility, and ME your friggin neighbor. Are you a power engineer expert?

Their (utility) investment in the Grid, their responsibility in stabilizing the frequency, voltage and capacity of of the grid for everyone else?

Do you want me also to be free to PUMP my unverified well water down to Denver's water system to be reimbursed at retail rates for every gallon even if I can't guarantee my personally produced water is safe?

Can I create my own personal gasoline or ethanol refinery and connect it to Loaf N Jug's tanks for $2/gallon reimbursement?

Or my own personal natural gas well fed back to Colorado Natural gas pipelines?

C'mon people think. Stop all this corporations are always the crooks and private citizens are the experts and should be allowed free unlimited access to someone's distribution network.

/endRant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:54 pm 

joeschmo wrote:
regarding "we can't do this already"

uh, what you do on your own property to feed power into your own home is your business

My purposes are strictly to serve my property alone, I could care less about selling back or reimbursements,
which is why I questioned the article. I'd be using a retired energy expert I know to get set up to augment.

Off grid folks have the need. The 5' storm had neighbors melting water on their grills with no heat, and some people were stranded on their properties.

Reimbursements aside, “to install and use electricity storage systems on their property" seemed a property
owner's right already, assuming sole use and competent installation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:58 am 

cabinish wrote:
My purposes are strictly to serve my property alone, I could care less about selling back or reimbursements,

Reimbursements aside, “to install and use electricity storage systems on their property" seemed a property
owner's right already, assuming sole use and competent installation.

I think it is already a right to generate, store and use your own power, the law just affirms it since it is not currently defined.

My question was does it allow a 25kW discharge into the grid any time, for retail reimbursements? That is not clear from the article. If so, you could charge your batteries with a dirty diesel generator and be an untaxed, unregulated private mini power company for profit, using the power company network for free.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:00 pm 

The bill is SB 17-089. Not sure if this is helpful -

Residential and small commercial consumers can install electricity storage systems with a discharge rate of up to 25 kilowatts (kW) alternating current (AC) for later use or to provide backup in case of an outage;

The utility and interconnection approval process for photovoltaic plus storage systems must be simple and streamlined, subject to electrical code and safety requirements but not more complex than existing approval requirements for photovoltaic installations;

A utility whose customer installs electricity storage must use only a single revenue meter unless the storage system exceeds a discharge rate of 25 kW AC; and

Any applicable standby charges, minimum charges, additional meter charges, or other fees or charges are identical as between customers with electricity storage systems and those without.

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb17-089

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:02 pm 

The full text of the bill is here -

http://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/f ... 089_01.pdf