It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partnersSite Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
Cactus Jack's Saloon and Grill Dan Smith, Loan Officer Evergreen, Conifer Elevation Dental El Rancho Brewing Co. Evergreen Towing Ferellgas Lynn Brown Nerium RE/MAX Alliance Evergreen Tree Top Thai Massage & Spa Tupper's Team

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: GO FISH!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:40 am 

Anyone ice fishing these days? I got skunked at Granby and did good at Antero but it was cold as hell.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 am 

Tightline Outdoors and Blue Quill Angler are sponsoring an Ice Fishing Derby at Winter Festival at Evergreen Lake on February 9th. This professional quality tournament features valuable cash prizes — as high as $750, depending on registrations! The event is limited to 100 anglers — plus a kids’ competition.

General Rules
Registration on event day will start at 7 AM. Anglers will not be allowed on the Designated Fishing Site until 7:50 AM.

•All Colorado fishing regulations will apply to this event and a valid Colorado fishing license is required.
•Anglers must be 16 years of age or older.
•Each angler is limited to one rod. A second rod stamp does not apply to this event.
•All Colorado laws will apply concerning live bait.
•Anglers must be registered and signed in prior to the 8 AM Start.
•Fish will be weighed on a digital scale. In the event of a tie, the fish weighed first will be the winner.
•Only “trout” will be recognized as legal fish for weigh-in and toward a prize.
•Only legally caught fish will count toward weigh in and toward a prize.
•After weigh in, each angler is responsible for their fish.
•No gaffs or nets are allowed in aid of landing fish.
•No alcohol is allowed during the derby.
•No age limit — but each angler must be able to hook and land their fish with no assistance from other anglers.
•Weigh Master makes all final decisions on final weight and time.
•Trout must be fresh and not frozen when weighed in.
•Anglers and gear are subject to search upon entering the Designated Fishing Site.
•The event will start at 8 AM sharp – no earlier – and end at 11 AM. Anglers must be in line at the weigh station with their catch when the finish buzzer sounds at 11 AM.
•Each angler must catch and weigh their own fish.
•Once an angler weighs the 3rd fish, that angler is done fishing and is not allowed to assist any other angler in any way.
•Only registered anglers will be allowed in the designated fishing area.

http://evergreenwinterfestival.com/sports/fishing-derby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:29 pm 

Photo-fish wrote:
Where do you go? What do you fish for? Fly, bait or spin cast?

!!

I mostly fly fish now days. But quite some time ago I was a fan of poke poling. Primarily along the rocky shores of the northern California or Oregon coasts. Basically a it's a long Bamboo pole 12' - 15' with about another foot of very stiff wire at the end. You attach a short very short heavy duty leader and a good sized hook to the wire, bait it with some nice squid. You fish it by working the rocks at low tide, poking it into holes or crevices in the rocks. I've caught both Rock Cod and Capazone.
I should mention it is vital to be aware of the incoming tide. :biggrin:

Read a nice little article of Poke Poling here.

Arguing with a liberal is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how well you play chess, the pigeon just knocks over all the pieces, craps on the board, spews some unintelligible profanities, and struts around like he won."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:43 pm 

Photo-fish wrote:
Tightline Outdoors and Blue Quill Angler are sponsoring an Ice Fishing Derby at Winter Festival at Evergreen Lake on February 9th. This professional quality tournament features valuable cash prizes — as high as $750, depending on registrations! The event is limited to 100 anglers — plus a kids’ competition.

General Rules
Registration on event day will start at 7 AM. Anglers will not be allowed on the Designated Fishing Site until 7:50 AM.

•All Colorado fishing regulations will apply to this event and a valid Colorado fishing license is required.
•Anglers must be 16 years of age or older.
•Each angler is limited to one rod. A second rod stamp does not apply to this event.
•All Colorado laws will apply concerning live bait.
•Anglers must be registered and signed in prior to the 8 AM Start.
•Fish will be weighed on a digital scale. In the event of a tie, the fish weighed first will be the winner.
•Only “trout” will be recognized as legal fish for weigh-in and toward a prize.
•Only legally caught fish will count toward weigh in and toward a prize.
•After weigh in, each angler is responsible for their fish.
•No gaffs or nets are allowed in aid of landing fish.
•No alcohol is allowed during the derby.
•No age limit — but each angler must be able to hook and land their fish with no assistance from other anglers.
•Weigh Master makes all final decisions on final weight and time.
•Trout must be fresh and not frozen when weighed in.
•Anglers and gear are subject to search upon entering the Designated Fishing Site.
•The event will start at 8 AM sharp – no earlier – and end at 11 AM. Anglers must be in line at the weigh station with their catch when the finish buzzer sounds at 11 AM.
•Each angler must catch and weigh their own fish.
•Once an angler weighs the 3rd fish, that angler is done fishing and is not allowed to assist any other angler in any way.
•Only registered anglers will be allowed in the designated fishing area.

http://evergreenwinterfestival.com/sports/fishing-derby

Good to know thx. I haven't fished there for a couple decades cuz I normally don't like fishing in populated areas. Do people pull good sizes out of there these days?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:39 pm 

$750 prizes with only 100 fishing for 3 hours sounds like good odds to me!

I saw photos of people holding huge fish supposedly caught at Evergreen Lake on google -
hard to take them too seriously since it's not that deep. Photo-Fish would know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:29 pm 

I get the stocking schedules and totals each spring.
They stock the lake with over 3000 rainbows every month over the summer. Catchable size. (The cormorants definately get their share.) They stock some bigger ones in the fall to please the ice fisherman. They also stock 17" tiger Musky in the fall too. Just the past 2 years we requested they stock some sterile white Amur (grass carp) to help control the weeds. It seems to have helped along with adding the aeration system. We ask folks to return the carp unharmed. Carp on a fly rod is F-U-N!!!!They did not stock the creek below the dam this year due to high temps and low flows.

Bear Creek and Evergreen Lake do not have a reproducing population of Rainbow trout yet due to whirling disease. They recently started stocking the creek with a strain that is fairly resistant (Hoffers). Some folks upstream stock their frontage with bigger rainbows that can make it down to the lake. There are some big resident fish in there. Brown trout are also present and reproduce well in Bear Creek. You can catch an occasional white sucker too.
I don't fish the lake that often unless I am fly fishing from a belly boat. I hit the creek a bit, but I won't tell the best spots.

I help with fish surveys and bug sampling in the fall at 8 different spots on Bear Creek from Morrison to Mt Evans Wilderness Area. I have seen some BIG fish in the nets and the bug life is pretty good except through the areas immedieately above and below the lake (sediment issues).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 pm 

Quote:
It seems to have helped along with adding the aeration system.

I do think it definately helped, as I think I recall a lot of vegetation last year along the shore?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:36 pm 

We harvested a lot in 2011. Last year we pulled out some but not near as much as the previous year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:05 pm 

Is that part of the clean-up the Lake effort?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:16 am 

No, just annual maint for water quality. They are doing the swim portion of this years triathalon in Evergreen Lake. Wet suits required.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next