It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partnersSite Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
Cactus Jack's Saloon and Grill Dan Smith, Loan Officer Evergreen, Conifer Elevation Dental El Rancho Brewing Co. Evergreen Towing Ferellgas Lynn Brown Nerium RE/MAX Alliance Evergreen Tree Top Thai Massage & Spa Tupper's Team

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:17 am 

But trying telling them that.

25 years I've made it through all manner of snow storms without parenting from CDOT, slowly but eventually
making my way home every time. So I took notice when the road block equipment went up at local exits, and
2" of snow started closing I-70 on a regular basis forcing a very long detour up 285 and 74 stay (magically open).
It somehow safer for me to drive and hour than 2-1/2 minutes. Hmmm.

"It's the people from Florida with bald tires" one lone CDOT guy told me, while a snow plow was used to block the
exit rather than actually plow, or lay sand to give a traction. Hundreds of motorists were more than annoyed
to be forced to turn around at Genesee and head back down. Magically Eastbound stays open. Same weather, same
stretch of road. Not a sheriff in sight, nor plow working the interstate. Yet after the hour long detour, my own neighborhood
magically had been plowed, with sand courtesy of CDOT. Edit that to Jeffco.

So when a local commentator said CDOT's been causing traffic jams on purpose yesterday it sounded ludicrous. They claimed
a higher up even admitted it. Still ludicrous. Unless getting their projects through depends on traffic jams. After the mess
tonight I'm not so sure.

I sympathize with CDOT workers out in the cold, put in the position of defending road blocks that didn't used to be there
all these years. The tunnel's dangerous without lights ok, but their digital signs were down so they closed the highway?

“For those stuck on I-70, we understand your frustrations,” CDOT posted in a long thread on its Twitter account as people took to social media to lambaste the agency. “We’ve been there & some of our friends and family are stuck where you are right now, too. … So, we’re with ya, this is not fun, but we (on social media), Colorado State Patrol troopers and CDOT maintenance crews will update you either on here, (cotrip.org), or at your closure point once we feel confident with an estimate for opening.” - CDOT on Twitter (The Denver Post)

CDOT go back to your original mission and plow the damned road.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:54 am 

Agree with you, they were much less likely to shut down 285 through the park in the 1970's and 80's than they are now. Ironically the winters were much worse back then. Now they will close the road between Kenosha and Fairplay at the drop of a hat.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:01 am 

Thank you Tarryall, crop of a hat is right.
On the bright side, Jeffco Road & Bridge plowed AND sanded my neighborhood at 6:15 this morning!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:22 am 

Seems to me the priority needs to be to keep I70 open from Denver to Georgetown at least. Even when the tunnel and Loveland pass are closed, most could get home or to somewhere to stay warm. On the west side most people could stay put in Dillon/Frisco where there are plenty of Hotels/services.

It could also help Evergreen local traffic if Highway 40 was continuous thru there all the way to Denver. (From El Rancho to Mt. Vernon)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:49 pm 

I think John said he was forced to get a motel room a year or two ago when roads were closed in the foothills.
The cost to businesses and families add up.

My thought is focus on Genesee to Evergreen Parkway. People can take 40 to Genesee and get to the community and their own homes.
Passage through Evergreen via Hwy 74 was fine.